NUTS & BOLTS
- The History of the British Musical – Why Can’t Europe imitate the Pajama Game?
September 15th, 22nd, 29th, October 13th, 20th and 27th October
Led by Sue Pearse – Using Bernstein’s question as a provocation, come and investigate the history of musical theatre in the UK, its high points and low, from 1728 to the present day. The course will be facilitated by Mercury Musical Developments member Susannah Pearse, with special guests announced soon.
The series will take place over six sessions on Thursday evenings at the Jerwood Studios. Each week’s session will focus on one or two British shows in detail, as well as providing an overview of the specific era and a comparison with American/European shows happening at the same time to give a sense of the history. Find out more and book your place HERE
- Feedback Forum
- How to give and receive constructive feedback; an exploration of different techniques including the Liz Lerman method. Led by Victoria Saxton, Carl Miller and Fadi Tavoukdjian (Theatre Royal Stratford East).
- Bookwriting Focus
- One on One feedback sessions with MMD Board Member John Sparks. Once again John will be available for individual script reading and feedback sessions. The session dates and times are to be finalised, but we anticipate end of September beginning of October – Martin will share more info very soon.
- Bookwriting Masterclass with John Sparks and Eliot Davis – Full details to follow but the date is October 5th at 7pm – The venue will be central London. For now “save the date”
- Funding Event – PRS talk with Joe Franklin (Senior Grants Manager) September 2016 – exact date to be confirmed but will be in September. This event is produced in partnership with MTN.
MASTERCLASS AND SEMINARS
- The Claude-Michel Schönberg Masterclass Day (session 2) September 21st. This is a follow-up session for the 8 teams who were selected. There will be another Masterclass day later in 2017.
- The Directors Interview: Kate Golledge interviews Writer and Director Jeremy Sams – This will be in November – exact date to be confirmed shortly. This event will be produced in partnership with MTN.
- Advanced Writers Lab – meets once a month (invite only)
- Open Writers Lab – an open writers lab for all members, for peer to peer feedback on your work in progress. More details coming soon.
STILES & DREWE PRIZE
- Submissions will open in early November, more details to follow
- Mentorship Prize Public Progress Lab 1: Tuesday 8th November, Jerwood Space.
- Open Mic Writers Night: Rest of the year – September 19th – October 17th – November 21st – December 12th
- Members Drop-In – We will be launching drop in events – watch this space for more updates.
- Fundraising Event, November, details to follow. This event will be produced in partnership with MTN.
Don’t forget we also offer a full Reading and Advice service – This is where we connect you with a leading practitioner who can analyse your script and offer constructive feedback in the areas you require. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
As an MMD member we are happy to promote your news in our weekly Friday mailout – just send your info through to Sarah.
Every other month SPOTLIGHT should hit your inbox – this is our new members newsletter – if you have anything that you would like us to include just liaise with Sarah and she will make it happen.
With all of the above events you will receive an email giving you further information on how to book your place.
We hope to see many of you at one of the above events. Keep an eye on your emails as often events come up last minute and we would hate for you to miss an exciting opportunity.
See you soon,