By joining Mercury Musical Developments you automatically become part of a vibrant and ever growing community of writers and artists across the UK and internationally. Please look around our website to find out more about what we do and how MMD membership will benefit you.
Our members have access to a range of showcasing and development initiatives to help further their craft and their careers as bookwriters, lyricists and composers. We offer workshops, masterclasses, seminars and writer groups designed to support those who are new to the genre, emerging talents or seasoned professionals. We actively seek out commissions, build professional networks and are ambassadors on behalf of all our members. At MMD our aim is to support and represent the writers who are shaping the future of British musical theatre.
There are so many benefits to becoming a member of MMD. Below are a few highlights:
- Lionel Bart Memorial Masterclasses – free masterclasses with the opportunity to receive feedback and learn from industry figures such as Claude-Michel Schonberg, Howard Goodall, Lotte Wakeham, and Jake Brunger and Pippa Cleary.
- Assistance from MMD staff on finding collaborators and general advice
- Discounted rates for receiving professional feedback on your script/show through our Reading & Advice Service
- Apply for our Advanced Writers Labs for regular peer-to-peer support and feedback
- MTI Stiles + Drewe Mentorship Award – the selected show receives 12 months of mentoring and support from Stiles + Drewe, culminating in a fully-funded industry showcase in London
- For female/non-binary identifying members: the Jane Goodman Writing Fund provides small grants and the Mercury Writers’ Barn is a five-day countryside retreat
- Talks and Q&As (mostly held online) on useful topics such as fundraising, contracts, rights and royalties, how to pitch, etc.
- Access to free legal advice sessions
- Use of our central London meeting room for read-throughs (subject to availability) free of charge
- Promote your musical to the new MT community via Friday Mail Out and to the public via Musical Theatre Network’s listings page.
- Stiles + Drewe Best New Song Prize – 12 finalists have their song performed professionally at The Other Palace, winning writer receives cash prize.
- Cameron Mackintosh Resident Composer Scheme, a six-month paid placement at a producing theatre
- Receive the fortnightly Friday Mail Out email, packed with opportunities, call-outs, discounted show tickets and musical theatre news.
- Regular Open Mic nights – any member can present a song to a friendly and supportive crowd
- Members’ networking events, quizzes and Christmas socials
- Discounted tickets and post-show talks for new musicals
- Discounted tickets to attend BEAM – the UK’s industry showcase of new musicals (in May 2023)
- Discounted tickets to attend the UK Musical Theatre Conference (in 2024)
“I had the most brilliant and illuminating two and a half hours with John Sparks today in which he helped me overhaul my entire musical! It was a wonderful session and I drank it all in! What a great and supremely wise guy. I can’t tell you what an absolute delight he was! I couldn’t believe that he was giving over so many pearls of wisdom at the critical stage of my new musical and, as I said to him afterwards, my learning curve was vertical! That was simply the best musical theatre tutorial I have ever experienced and that session with John was alone worth my membership of MMD and MTN combined! He brilliantly helped overhaul my show at a very critical stage.” Barbara Jane Mackie, MMD member
If you have any questions regarding MMD membership, please contact Kate McKeown, Membership & Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 3951 7961.